Employers Must Verify Identity and Employment Eligibility of New Hires Using Form I-9
Form I-9 is designed to help employers verify individuals who are authorized to work in the United States. Employers should complete a Form I-9 for every new employee they hire after November 6, 1986.
To comply with the law, employers must verify the identity and employment eligibility of each person they hire, complete and retain a Form I-9 for each employee, and refrain from discriminating against individuals on the basis of national origin or citizenship.
Electronic Form I-9 Management Software Improves Compliance with Employment and Immigration Laws
The paper Form I-9 process has always been error-prone and hard to centralize. Form I-9 management software can store, manage, and submit employee I-9 information electronically to the Federal databases in a fraction of the time it takes HR personnel to process paper forms. Some paperless Form I-9 management systems, including Tracker I-9™, are integrated with E-Verify, allowing employers to submit information about new hires to government databases instantly and securely in real time.
Using Form I-9 management software with E-Verify features, organizations faced with the task of including E-Verify in their new hire on-boarding process can simplify their work and conduct all tasks with only one password and user interface to learn. By automatically filling information from the electronic Form I-9 record to open an E-Verify case, duplicate data entry and subsequent errors can be avoided right from the start. These systems can:
- Offer verification of social security numbers against government databases
- Integrate with a company’s existing office and HR management software
- Have built-in alerts to help employers avoid costly errors and liability from noncompliance
- Catch mistakes commonly made when filling out paper I-9s
In addition to these features, Tracker I-9™:
- Enables remote hiring by sending secure link to I-9 form that once notaries sign becomes part of the employee’s electronic record.
- Automates audit trails of all required actions and simplifies i9 self-auditing through easily-customized reports.
- Reduces audit risk exposure by automatically purging Form I-9s that should be eliminated according to the three-year/one-year rule.
- Prevents over-documentation in Section 2 by automatically showing only the ID documents applicable to selected status.
- Offers an on-premises database option that‘s easily implemented, enabling enterprises to store data behind their corporate firewall.
DHS/USCIS Form I-9 Handbook for Employers
Tracker I-9™ Request A Free E-Verify and Form I-9 HR Toolkit
Disclaimer: The content of this blog does not constitute direct legal advice and is designed for informational purposes only. Information provided through this website should never replace the need for involving informed counsel on your employment and immigration issues.